The Story County Fair Association wanted to breathe new life into its building. Built by the WPA in 1941, the Community Building had considerable historic value. They hired the Accord to preserve this allure.
Accord’s design improved the overall building envelope and added a heating and cooling system. The roof and walls were insulated, while maintaining the beautiful exposed wood in the main gathering room. The lower level’s existing bathrooms, storage rooms, and hallway were demolished in order to add a display room, bathrooms with showers, a fire-rated corridor, storage, and mechanical rooms. The stone fireplace was refurbished, returning its original beauty. The renovations provide two separate community spaces. These can be combined or used separately.
The Community Building is one of two original fairground buildings. It remains a place for the community to celebrate, exhibit, and learn.